Lunar Glaceon Forums!~
Come on and and log in! Or if you haven't signed up, come on and join our community!

I forgot my password

Affiliates
free forum

Poll
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 34 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 am
Latest topics
» Cleverbot Conversation #1
Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:50 am by QuinnyTheCresselia

» A Dead Forum
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:40 am by Guest

» Post Your Favorite Skype/Chat-Box Quotes!
Thu May 19, 2011 2:29 am by Starsker98

» Favorite Mario Game?
Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:27 pm by Arcanine59

» Favorite 5th Gen Pokemon?
Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:47 pm by Arcanine59

» Why, hello!
Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:57 pm by HeavenlyFlame

» Forum Boredom
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 pm by HeavenlyFlame

» Touhou Project
Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:40 am by Guest

» Labyrinth of Touhou
Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 pm by Tenshi Hinanawi

Statistics
We have 34 registered users
The newest registered user is darcifau

Our users have posted a total of 366 messages in 75 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Shopmotion

Does nostalgia REALLY determine how good something is?

Go down

Does nostalgia REALLY determine how good something is?

Post  Ice Dorago on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

This was first going to go in Pokemon. Then general gaming. But then I realized this applies to a lot of things. So, I have heard many people hate on newer versions of things, or sequels and justify it by saying "since the originals were the first, they're the best."

Personally, I base stuff of of how good it is. Now, since I hear this mostly about Pokemon, I will use that as an example here, but it can really apply to a lot of stuff.

When it comes to Pokemon, people seem to hate anything after Gen 1 and 2. You often hear stuff like, "Hoenn was terrible" or "the anime got bad after the original." I will admit Sinnoh was bad, but is everything new bad? No, Hoenn and Unova are my favorite regions, and had the best animes.

People say the games are getting to complicated and the originals were nice and simple. We have newer technology that the designers use to improve the graphics, gameplay and music for our enjoyment, and is that really so bad?

There's also an argument about how if there was no Gen I, Gens II-V wouldn't exist today. That's true, but does that mean we have to like it? The newer games are much better. They improved the original concepts, they can do more today, and therefore you get a better game.

I base games on enjoyment, not because a game that I feel is inferior came out first, and same with animes. But that's my opinion, to each their own. Yeah, I like having discussions like this occasionally. Oh, and if you reply, help me bring up some other examples of this besides Pokemon. xD

Me: WHAT IS THIS? YAHOO?

There once was an idiot called Absol. He wanted to be a dictator but backed down from senior authority. What a failure.
Ice Dorago
Administrator
Administrator

Lunar Wings : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does nostalgia REALLY determine how good something is?

Post  Lilligant on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm

While there are the few idiots who hate Black and White, most people love them. Unlike Sinnoh, Unova is really enjoyable and fixed our beloved series after the mess ups that occurred over the past ten years. Now I don't hate Hoenn, but many people do and therefore I said ten years, even though it's really five.

Speaking of Hoenn, they were the first games you played and, therefore, cause you to be nostalgic. The reason most people love the earlier Generations is nostalgia. That's what you're saying, but they were still incredible games. Of course, back then, Pokémon was new and innovative. Hoenn just continued on with the same stuff. It's still an incredible region, but it was when Pokémon got stale.

Sinnoh was what ruined it though. It was quite boring and tedious and lacked the spirit that Pokémon needs. HeartGold and SoulSilver revived Pokémon because they're remakes of what are/were considered the best. They set the stage for Black and White to come along.

Black and White revived the original formula. You can only catch the monsters native to the region in the maingame. They also fixed many problems that have existed from Red and Blue and even changed some features that were getting old. New ideas that helped to make these games fun, like making it easier to heal with the Doctor and Nurse trainer classes, vending machines virtually everywhere (in a cave) and staying on the menu while using healing items was a much-needed improvement. Flying back to the Pokémon Centre (which now has the Pokémon Mart in it) got really tedious. Speaking of staying on the healing screen, battles have been sped up too and there are many improvements that I won't list, but the new "Select Screen" is brilliant.

Black and White revived the original formula, which is why we enjoy them. At the time of R/S/E/D/P/Pt, the formula was getting stale. The games were the same thing over and over.

Lilligant
Rattata
Rattata

Lunar Wings : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ice Dorago on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that as Emerald was my first, it would be one reason why I like Hoenn. But also, since it was still reusing the same formulas as before, the fact that I didn't enjoy Gens I or II and as Sinnoh was a wreck, it was my favorite region with graphics I could enjoy properly. I did think HG/SS were fine, however, even if the actual Gen IV was terrible.

Also, excuse me for my stupidity, but screen select = what?

And I should probably move this to Pokemon as that's the direction this seems to be heading.

There once was an idiot called Absol. He wanted to be a dictator but backed down from senior authority. What a failure.
Ice Dorago
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilligant on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:51 pm

By "Select Screen" I meant the screen where you select registered items that is the successor to the original "Select" (Later "Y") function.
Lilligant
Rattata
Rattata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax_Gamer on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm

I agree, some people are dumb, but doesn't mean that they don't have the games.

Mostly, they say that, "The Later Anime Sucked" or, "Generation IV sucked", and yeah, I do hate the Sinnoh anime, but doesn't mean I don't watch them.

I mean, you people have no common sense, not you guys though. Some people just don't know the games.
Pax_Gamer
Rattata
Rattata

Lunar Wings : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ice Dorago on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Actually, some people just refuse to try to experience the new games/animes and just say they're terrible because they're not the first, which is completely stupid imo if you have never tried it or looked at it.

Also, I'm moving this to Pokemon as it's the topic of this thread, apparently.

Ice Dorago
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pax_Gamer on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Ice Dorago wrote:Actually, some people just refuse to try to experience the new games/animes and just say they're terrible because they're not the first, which is completely stupid imo if you have never tried it or looked at it.

Also, I'm moving this to Pokemon as it's the topic of this thread, apparently.

Well, that's probably half-correct. They also hated that some of the anime had banned episodes and it's was really unfair to them. That's why the probably hated the new games/anime.
Pax_Gamer
Rattata
Rattata

Lunar Wings : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilligant on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Sorry, but that makes no sense.
Lilligant
Rattata
Rattata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ice Dorago on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:18 pm

I don't see how anyone could hate the new anime and games for banned episodes...

Ice Dorago
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum